As we age, we become wiser – this is good news. The not-so-good news is that environmental factors wreak havoc on our DNA, causing age-related health issues. But fret not! Your body is a healing machine, and there’s a way to fight back – you can eat your way to better genes.
In this week’s hormone-optimizing, delicious and easy recipe for my on-the-go health conscious ladies, we’ll be making a Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpea Salad with DNA healing in mind.
This plant-based powerhouse of nutrients is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that help to reduce the effects of free radical damage on our cells and keep our bodies running at optimum efficiency. Plus, it’s easy to make and takes only 25 minutes from start to finish.
First up, we have cauliflower, chickpeas, avocado, almonds, and mixed greens, which are all rich in antioxidants. These powerful nutrients help protect your DNA from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of diseases like cancer, heart disease, and cognitive decline.
Tahini, an ingredient made from ground sesame seeds, contains lignans, which have anti-cancer properties. They can prevent DNA damage by neutralizing harmful estrogen metabolites in the body, essential for women dealing with hormone fluctuations.
Lemon juice is a significant source of vitamin C, which helps repair damaged DNA. It’s an essential nutrient that can prevent DNA damage from occurring in the first place and repair any existing damage.
When hormones begin declining, it puts women at increased risk for osteoporosis, which can weaken bones and increase the risk of fractures. However, feta cheese is a great source of calcium, which can prevent osteoporosis and maintain bone health.
By including these nutrient-dense ingredients in your diet, you can support your body’s natural healing processes, protect your DNA from damage, and maintain balance during hormonal fluctuation. So bust out your apron and give this one a go!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the cauliflower and chickpeas with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and lightly browned.
- While the cauliflower and chickpeas are roasting, prepare the dressing by whisking together the tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, and water in a small bowl until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, divide the mixed greens between four bowls. Top with the roasted cauliflower and chickpeas, diced avocado, sliced almonds, and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle with the tahini dressing and serve.