If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to improve your digestive health, look no further than chia pudding!
It’s no wonder this superfood has gotten so popular. Chia seeds are packed with fiber that helps stimulate digestion, move waste through the digestive system more efficiently and reduce symptoms of bloating and gas. It’s especially beneficial for those with leaky gut syndrome or IBS because it contains a gel-like substance in the gut that calms and repairs the intestinal lining.
Chia pudding is rich in both soluble and insoluble fibers. Soluble fiber helps to slow down digestion by absorbing water in the stomach while insoluble fiber helps increase stool bulk and regulate bowel movements. Not only that, but this power food also contains omega-3 fatty acids which can help to restore the balance of good bacteria in the gut and reduce inflammation.
For an added gut health boost, I added coconut milk as a dairy alternative that is high in lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids, two components known to improve gut health.
Don’t forget, you can switch up the flavors of your chia pudding by using different milk alternatives and topping options. For a nutty twist, try swapping out almond milk for coconut milk and sprinkling some crushed pistachios or walnuts on top. Or if you’re looking for something sweet and tarty, you can try swapping out the almond milk for cashew milk and topping it with tart dried cherries or a drizzle of lemon juice. There’s really no wrong way to enjoy this simple treat! Have fun with it and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (or other natural sweetener)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon (optional)
- Fresh fruits for topping
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together chia seeds, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (if using).
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Stir the mixture a few times within the first hour to make sure the chia seeds are evenly distributed and not clumping together.
- In the morning, give the mixture a good stir and top with your favorite fresh fruits.
Enjoy your dairy-free and gut-friendly coconut chia pudding with a burst of fruity goodness!