Some of my favorite recipes are those that you can cook in one pan or on a sheet tray. They are so easy and it makes clean up a breeze.
This Salsa Verde Chicken is simple to make and full of flavor.
If you’re following an autoimmune protocol, there are some simple swaps to make this recipe compliant – and it will still taste delicious.
Head over to the website for those simple swaps, and how to turn this into a crock-pot meal!
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil, divided
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs, diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium Cauliflower, cut into florets (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup long grain White Rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (if using jarred salsa, be sure to check ingredients for compliance)
- 1 1/2 cup good quality Chicken Stock
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Heat a medium heavy-bottomed high-sided pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil and onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Push onion and garlic to the side and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook until beginning to brown 5-7 minutes.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, rice, and cauliflower. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and salsa and scrape up any browned bits.
- Let mixture come up to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid, and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Variations: Use any type of red or green salsa that you enjoy. Use a pork loin or pork chops instead of chicken to change up the flavors. To make this compliant for autoimmune: omit cumin, and used smoked sea salt if you want some of that smoky flavor. Omit white rice, and use riced cauliflower or broccoli instead. Riced cauliflower can be cooked in the same pan per the instructions above, just add in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Crock-Pot Instructions: Brown chicken thighs in a skillet on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once browned, add chicken thighs to crock-pot. Add all remaining ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours.