As the warmth of summer approaches and the days grow longer, we eagerly anticipate spending more time outdoors with our loved ones. However, along with the joys of nature, pesky mosquitos and ticks can sometimes make their unwelcome presence known. Instead of relying on chemical-laden products, why not try making your own natural repellents?
In this blog post, we’ll share simple and effective DIY recipes for mosquito and tick repellents using essential oils that are safe for both adults and kids. Let’s celebrate the beauty of summer while keeping those bugs at bay!
DIY Mosquito Repellent Spray:
Mosquitoes can put a damper on outdoor fun, but with this DIY mosquito repellent, you can enjoy your time in nature without worry. Citronella, lavender, and lemongrass essential oils are known for their natural mosquito-repellent properties. The pleasant aroma will keep the bugs away, while you can enjoy the outdoors confidently, knowing that you’re using a non-toxic alternative.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 ounces of witch hazel or distilled water
- 10-15 drops of citronella essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- In a small spray bottle, combine the witch hazel or distilled water with the essential oils.
- Shake well to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the spray liberally to exposed skin before heading outdoors.
- Reapply every couple of hours or as needed.
DIY Tick Repellent Roller:
Ticks are not only annoying but can also pose health risks—protect your family from these tiny critters with a simple and safe DIY tick repellent roller. Geranium, eucalyptus, and cedarwood essential oils are known to help deter ticks naturally. By applying this repellent, you can minimize the chances of ticks hitching a ride on you or your family members!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- Carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil)
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Add the essential oils to the roller bottle.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with a carrier oil of your choice, leaving a small space at the top.
- Secure the rollerball top onto the bottle and gently shake to blend the oils.
- Apply the tick repellent to wrists, ankles, and other exposed areas before venturing into tick-prone areas.
- Reapply every few hours, especially if you’re spending an extended time outdoors.
Remember, no repellent is 100% foolproof, so it’s still important to perform regular tick checks and take other precautionary measures, such as wearing long sleeves and pants when in heavily wooded or grassy areas.
This Memorial Day weekend, make the most of your time in nature by protecting yourself and your loved ones from mosquitos and ticks with these simple and safe DIY repellents. These recipes harness the power of essential oils, offering a non-toxic alternative to conventional repellents. Embrace the beauty of summer, knowing that you can enjoy the outdoors while keeping those pesky bugs away. Stay safe, have fun, and create lasting memories with your family and friends!
Disclaimer: Essential oils may cause skin irritation or sensitivities in some individuals. Perform a patch test before using the repellents on large areas of skin, especially for children.