Even though Thanksgiving is over, the celebration need not stop. Here’s one healthy treat for you. Paleo Pilgrim Stuffing is a recipe that is easily modifiable. If you’re a vegetarian, you can omit the meat and add additional vegetables. You can also swap out veggies for other ones.
This recipe makes 8-10 servings (depending of course on the size of the serving).
Have your fill 🙂
Paleo Pilgrim Stuffing
1 lb Ground Pork (can omit for vegetarian option)
2 cups Diced Onions
1 bunch of Celery chopped
8 oz package of Mushrooms sliced
3 large Sweet Potatoes – peeled and cubed
3 Carrots – peeled and cut to chunks (Turnips work here too)
2 cups of Green Apple diced (you can use any apples you like)
1/4 cup of Chicken or Turkey Stock (veggie stock is fine for the vegetarians)
2 tablespoons of Fat of your choice for sauteeing
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp of Dried Sage – fresh is fine too
2 tsp Garlic Powder
3 Eggs (if not doing the vegetarian option)
2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel carrots and sweet potatoes and cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets with oil and evenly spread the carrots and sweet potatoes in them.
- Sprinkle with some of the garlic powder, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and toss.
- Put into oven and bake for about an hour until they are soft and starting to brown,
- While those are cooking brown the ground pork if you are using it in frying pan
- While the ground pork is cooking, finely dice the onions and celery.
- When ground pork is cooked, remove from pan, leaving drippings.
- Add the onion first, then remove from pan, add the ground pork in a large bowl
- Add some additional cooking fat and sautee celery – remove celery and add to bowl
- Slice the mushrooms – add those to the pan – add more fat if needed, sautee
- Peel and dice the apple – add that to the mushrooms, stir until softened
- Add the mushrooms and apple to the pan once the onions and celery have started to soften.
- Add to ground pork bowl with ingredients – season with spices and toss
- Once carrots and sweet potatoes are done, mix gently with the ground pork/onion/celery/apple/mushroom mixture
- Reduce heat to 300 on oven
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs and add to the chicken stock, stir in 2 tbsp of coconut flour, mix well, salt if using unsalted stock
- Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 30-45 min in oven.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.